Shoulder Anatomy and Function
The shoulder consists of the collarbone and upper arm bone that fits into a socket in the shoulder blade to form a joint. The shoulder joint is a highly mobile structure that allows the arm to flex, extend, and rotate. The rotator cuff, made up of muscles and tendons, helps to keep the joint stable but flexible.
Common Causes of Shoulder Pain
Pain and aches in the shoulder may stem from instability, strains or sprains due to lifting overhead, frozen shoulder, osteoarthritis, and failing to warm up. Pain may also occur from:
- Tendon tear
- Broken shoulder or arm bone
- Shoulder separation or dislocation
- Rotator cuff tendonitis or impingement
A sharp, severe, dull, or aching pain may occur suddenly or gradually. It may be accompanied by stiffness, swelling, tenderness, or numbness and tingling in the shoulder, arm, or hand. The pain may grow worse during movement or rest. Visible deformity, muscle spasms, or inability to move the shoulder may also occur.
Shoulder Pain Treatment by Our Chiropractor in Princeton Junction, NJ
Dr. Deitch will do a comprehensive clinical evaluation and an X-ray, CT scan, or MRI of the shoulder and spine. Based on the findings, we may deliver the following treatment to help you regain full shoulder function.
- Chiropractic Adjustments: Adjustment techniques such as manual manipulation can be performed to mobilize and realign the bones, joints, and soft tissue in the shoulder and spine. Adjusting the shoulder provides lasting pain relief, stabilizes the joint, and increases mobility. Correcting misalignment of the cervical spine alleviates pain coming from a pinched nerve in the neck.
- Massage Therapy: Therapeutic massage is a soft tissue therapy intended to loosen up stiff muscles, increase circulation, and reduce inflammation. Massages also stimulate tissue healing and renewal.
Our chiropractor may encourage you to do special exercises to strengthen the shoulder, eat healthily, and make certain lifestyle changes to protect your body from illness and pain.
Gentle Chiropractic Care Can Make the Pain Go Away
Deitch Family Chiropractic & Wellness Center in Princeton Junction, NJ provides chiropractic services for the whole family. We can help you or a loved one return to your normal daily activities without the pain. Feel free to call (609) 897-1200 to book a consultation today.